Virasana Yoga Pose With Steps, Benefits, Variations and Images
Posture : Virasana or The Hero Pose
Translation : The Sanskrit word vira means hero, brave or eminent man, or warrior.
Pronunciation : veer-ah-sa-na
Difficulty : Level 2
- Kneel on the floor with the calves and tops of the feet flat on the floor and the thighs touching.
- Slowly spread the feet, about shoulder distance apart, while keeping the knees together. Place the buttocks flat on the floor. The outer sides of the thighs are touching the inner sides of the calves and the soles of the feet are exposed facing up. Place the hands palms downs, on the knees and form a circle with the thumb and forefinger (in the chin-mudra) while pointing the other fingers straight ahead.
- Breath slowly and deeply through the nostrils and remain motionless for six complete breaths (an inhale and exhale is one complete breath).
- Inhale slowly and stretch the arms straight up over the head and interlock the fingers with the palms pushed upward. Remain in this position for six complete breaths.
- Exhale slowly, release the fingers and slowly bend forward at the waist while placing the palms of the hands flat on the soles of the feet. Place the chin between the knees.
- Hold this position for the duration of six complete breaths.Inhale, raise the chest up, stretch the legs straight ahead and place the hands, palms down, on top of the thighs.
The Virasana is an alternative to the padma-asana, siddha-asana, as well as other seated postures, for mediation and pranayama.
Duration / Repetitions :
Hold the posture from several minutes as part of an asana session or for the duration of your meditation or pranyama.
The Supta virasana variation (supta is the Sanskrit word for "lying down") stretches the abdominal muscles and relieves pain and discomfort in the legs. Begin the posture as detailed above then incline backwards and lean the back on the floor. The arms are stretch straight above the shoulders and kept flat on the floor.
Benefits of Virasana or The Hero Pose :
- It Stretches your hips, thighs, knees, ankles and feet.
- Also it improves circulation and relieves tired legs of yours.
- Virasana will also strengthen your foot arches, relieving flat feet.
- It improves digestion and relieves gas problems.
- It helps in relieving the symptoms of menopause.
- It will improve your posture.
- It reduces swelling of your legs during pregnancy (through second trimester)
- Virasana act as therapeutic for asthma and high blood pressure.
It put pressure on the hips, thighs, knees, ankles and feet muscles and streaches them. It make these muscles more flexible and more stronger. This yoga posture is very important for old age problems and a solution to the ageing problems.
It improves the circulation of the blood to your legs and makes them more comfortable and at ease after a long and hard time of yours on your feet. Virasana circulates blood in your legs, the rush of blood makes the legs more fresh and relived.
It will make your foot arches more stronger and flexible by steaching there muscles and making them stronger which eliminates these kind of problems.
As Virasana makes your digestive organs more stronger by giving them a little exercise and movement this yoga asana helps to improve your digestion and also eliminates many of the digetion problems like gas or acidity.
It helps in removing the symptoms of menopause thats why the hero pose is best and easy yogs asana for women and girls.
It makes your posture more straight and good since it includes maintaining the posture which will automatically improves your posture and balance.
This pose makes your hips, thighs, knees, ankles and feet muscles move and automatically reduces the swelling at the time of pregnancy.
This yoga asana is very important for asthma and high blood pressure persons. It act as a therapy or treatment for these kinds of problem. It should be done by the person suffering from asthma and high blood pressure to eliminate these kind of problems.