Garudasana with Steps, Techniques, Benefits and Variations
Posture : Garudasana - The Eagle Pose
Translation : In the Language of Sanskrit, the word garuda means eagle. In the Hindu mythology Garuda is known as the king of all birds. He transports God Vishnu (shown with a bow and arrow in the illustration to the left) and is said to be eager to help humanity fight againt deamons, whenever there is need.
Pronunciation : ga-roo-dah-sa-na
Difficulty : Level 3
Technique or Steps :
- Firstly you have to lie flat on the back in the shavasana ( corpse pose ).
- After that stand with the feet together and the arms by your sides ( See the Tadasana ).
- Then draw the left foot upward, bending the knee and wrap your left foot around your right leg as you rest the back of your left thigh on the right thigh.
- Cross your arms at the elbows, left over right.
- Join the palms of your hands together keeping the fingers pointed upward.
- Inhale and hold the posture for the duration of the inhaled breath.
- Exhale and return to the tada-asana. Repeat the posture on the opposite side, wrapping the right leg over the left and the right arm over left.
The Garudasana will strengthen the legs, knees and ankles. It stretches and tones muscles of the leg and can help relieve cramps of the legs.
Duration / Repetitions :
Hold the hala-asana for as long as you are comfortable. 20-30 seconds is fine for early attempts, increase the time gradually as you become more comfortable. You can also try holding the posture for as long as you can hold the inhaled breath. Repeat 2 or 3 times on each leg.
Benefits of Garudasana :
- It enhances the sense of balance of the body.
- It also strengthen the muscles of the legs.
- It can loosen the joints of the legs
- It alleviates sciatica and rheumatism in the leg joints.
This yoga asana is the best way to make you understand the sense of body balance. This yogasana should be adoped by dancer and atheletes for making there body adapt to balance in any circumstances.
This yogasana puts pressure on your leg musscle makes it move and streach and by this movement and streaching will make your legs muscles more stronger and flexible.
With the help of this yoga posture you can make the joints of your legs more loosen and it can be used for the person who cannot walk properly so that it will help your joints to get loosen up.
These are some other but common problems suffered by many due to old age or weaker legs but can be concoured by Garudasana.