Chandra Bhedana Pranayama (Left Nostril) Steps and Benefits
Name : Chandra Bhedana Pranayama From LEFT NOSTRIL Breathing
Duration : This pranayama is to be done for 2 minutes (or 11 times) only.
Steps or Technique :
- Sit yourself in any comfortable meditative posture - padmasana, siddhasana or otherwise sukhasana and close your eyes.
- The head and neck should be maintained vertical.
- Put your left hand in Jyana or Chin mudra on your left knee.
- Fold the 1st & 2nd fingers of your right hand into your palm and use only the thumb and the ring finger. This is nasika mudra.
- Keep the arm comfortably in front of your body, supported on to your chest.
- Put your thumb on your right nostril and ring finger on your left nostril.
- Close your right nostril with your thumb and start deep and rhythmical breathing only through your left nostril.
- Exhale through left and inhale through left.
- Do not change the nostril during the pranayama.
- Do not retain the breath, simply continue exhalations and inhalations.
- Deep and rhythmical breathing only through left nostril.
- Your eyes should remain closed.
- Concentrate on the breathing process.
- The time of exhalation and inhalation should be equal, so recite mentally OM to count this, the same number of OM you exhale, the same number you inhale.
- Deep and rhythmical breathing only through left nostril alone.
- Cools your body, activates your para-sympathetic nervous system and cures all diseases connected with pita or acidity.
- Relaxes your body and organs.
- In the end breathe out very slowly; hold outside, as long as comfortable.
- When you cant hold comfortably any longer, inhale very slowly and hold inside, as long as comfortable - just one time.
Benefits of Chandra Bhedana Pranayama :
- It takes due care of obesity problems.
- It is most important nadi Purification or shodhan pranayama in yoga.
- It keeps you away from heart and lungs problems.
As the stomach muscles and lower abdomen muscle contract and expand in the process of doing this pranayam, it helps in removing the excess fats and toxins out of the body form stomach and lower abdomen makeing you slim and fit.
It cleanses and purifies the whole nadi system as it involves pure air to enter our nostrils and supply oxygen to the entire body which in turns remove all toxic and impure substances out of the body.
Anulom Vilom panayama is really good and very effective for cardio vascular (heart and blood vessels) as also for cardio pulmonary (heart and lungs) dysfunctions, and sometimes removes the heart blockages.