Anuloma Viloma Pranayam with Steps, Benefits and Duration
Name : ANULOMA VILOMA PRANAYAMA ( ALTERNATE NOSTRIL )
Duration : Anulom Vilom pranayam is to be done for 5 to 7 minutes minimum every day.
Steps or Technique :
- Start with Siting in any comfortable asana - padmasana, slddhasana, or otherwise sukhasana mentioned in the blog and close your eyes.
- Your head and neck should be straight, but without tension.
- Also place your left hand on your left knee in Jyana or chin mudra.
- Fold Your 1st & 2nd fingers of your right hand into your palm and use only Your thumb and Your ring finger. This is nasika mudra. Keep the arm comfortably in front of your body.
- Then close your right nostril with your right thumb.
- Breathe out through the left nostril, and breathe in through left nostril.
- Then close your left nostril with your ring finger and breathe out through the right nostril and breathe in through right.
- Make deep and rhythmical breathing alternating from left to right nostril, completing one exhalation and inhalation on one side before switching to the other nostril.
- Total concentration on the breathing process.
- You should continue this for 5 to 7 minutes or 18 complete rounds (count every time you come to left and exhale).
- At last, when you come to your left nostril, breathe out and hold outside, as long as comfortable and recite mentally OM 4 to 6 times.
- Then breathe in very slowly, hold it inside, as long as comfortable and recite mentally OM 4 to 6 times.
- Then close your left nostril, breathe very slowly out through the right nostril, hold outside and recite mentally OM 4 to 6 times.
- After that when you can't hold comfortably outside, breathe very slowly in, hold inside.
- Finally place your right hand also on your knee in Jyana or Chin mudra and finally breathe out through both nostrils.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom Pranayam :
- It is most important nadi Purification or shodhan pranayama in yoga.
- It keeps you away from heart and lungs problems.
- This is most important practice for the cure of all chronic diseases.
It cleanses and purifies the whole nadi system as it involves pure air to enter our nostrils and supply oxygen to the entire body which in turns remove all toxic and impure substances out of the body.
Anulom Vilom panayama is really good and very effective for cardio vascular (heart and blood vessels) as also for cardio pulmonary (heart and lungs) dysfunctions, and sometimes removes the heart blockages.
Practicing this pranayam will surely cure you against all chronic diseases by making your digestion and supply of oxygen to your body organs and tissues better.